This twin-towered church with its gothic wooden sculptures is the landmark of St Johann and was first mentioned in 924. Following the fire of 1855, the church was rebuilt from the ground up (1855-1861). The neo-gothic altars are home to a number of late-gothic figures.
The church is an exceptional example of ecclesiastical architecture thanks to its imposing location above the Salzachtal Valley and the majestic interior. These factors have contributed to it being popularly known as the “Pongau Cathedral”, although the church was never actually the seat of a bishop.